One day, more than a year ago, I stumbled upon several lovely fabrics at sewdeerlyloved on Etsy. What a cute shop. She also was selling some Dia de los Muertos fabric designed by Heather Ross which, as it turns out, was a panel from the Munki Munki PJ's shown below. Isn't it cheerful? Can't you hear the mariachi's playing and the drum beating? ¡Claro que si!
- Top Left: Grey. Mmm... not quite. It doesn't match the grey on the print.
- Top Middle and Right: Grey-Brown stripe. Ugh. Dull, dull, dull. NOPE!
- Bottom Left and Middle: Ooo... fun, but the knit overlay detracts from the skulls and the other pink trim.
- Bottom Right: White. Uh, yeah no. Too much color blocking, not enough attention on the skellies.
These photos and work were done more than 1 year ago. This has been percolating in my UFO basket all that time. I did not feel I had quite the right fabric, nor did I feel right about the fit. So, I let it hang out & play sleepover with my other UFO's, knowing that I was going to learn how to draft a moulage to better fit myself and that one day the right fabric would align.
Since I had my 3.5 day draft-in, I feel more confident about fits with my knits. Not quite happy yet, but more confident. I cleaned off my drafting table and dug this project out of the UFO basket. I lay the center piece (on the fold) on my knit block, drew the lines, then drafted new side front & side back pieces. I even drafted myself an option for a slight raglan. For fabric, I decided to go with the pink ponti that is underneath the black lace in the bottom left and middle photos directly above, then CUT!
Once I get this sewn up, I'm going to add in a strip of a heathered knit I picked up for testing athletic patterns. It's the perfect pink to blend the ponti with the trim with the skeletons. Time does tell!