If you look closely, I have a center back seam. I didn't have enough fabric to cut it on the fold, so I added 1/4" to the fold edge and stitched together, then topstitched the seam down for security. It reminds me of back leg seams on nylons. This version could have used a small adjustment for swayback. All in all, though I love it so much.
Again, only bound the edge with self same fabric. No add ins.
For the neckband and armhole edges, I ...
- stitched the binding to right side to fronts
- inserted & stitched down clear elastic along the stitched edge
- Folded the binding to the wrong side and stitched down.
Contained in this binding, both neck & arm, is clear elastic. Gave just enough body and wasn't restricting whatsoever.
The striped binding was a bit of poor recovering knit that I interfaced and held onto for ages. It was perfect for this and I couldn't lose by using something that had just sat around for ages. I could only learn from the experience. Works better than expected even though it doesn't have much stretch, that too doesn't seem to affect my movement.
- The photo on the left shows how the hem is smaller than my hips.
- The photo on the right is the shirt pulled all the way straight.
I'm most grateful for the learning and experimenting. When I began this last version, knowing I was upcycling an Eileen Fisher shirt, I figured I couldn't go wrong. I was never going to wear the other version, plus I'd learn from the fabric how it likes to be treated!
All in all, I'd still vote for clear elastic, just give a little more room, don't go for negative ease. If anything, go for exact or a little extra. Try out a sample and see how it behaves.